“The freedom I have experienced in being an independent clinician has not only given me more fulfillment as a therapist but also as a husband and father.”
Hello! My name is Scott Harmon. My wife and I own two thriving therapy practices that provide speech therapy, occupational therapy and physical therapy. I have created startatherapypractice.com because it’s the resource I wish I would have had as I started and then grew my practice.
I know what it is like to be stuck in a 9 to 5 job, giving away part of my hard earned money to others and realizing that it could be done so much better. I have experienced first hand what it takes to create a successful therapy practice.
A big motivation for me in creating this website and podcast is to help out the solopreneur therapist.
You are a therapist who starts a private practice on your own, may or may not hire other therapists to work for you and creates a successful therapy business in their community.
Don’t let the fear of inadequacy stop you from beginning a therapy practice. You have skills and insight that people are willing to pay for. You know more than you think you know about therapy and you may be doing your community a disservice by not going into private practice.
That being said, private practice is not for every therapist. You have to not only work hard you have to work smart. You have to possess the heart of a servant and realize that you are placed on this earth to help others in an extraordinary way.
I believe it is you, the individual practitioner, who will keep healthcare personal and individualized. I am convinced that given the right tools and information you can be a successful, independent therapist.
The most helpful tool you will find here is The Academy of Private Practice.
The Academy provides you with how to lessons, live mastermind sessions, support and a community of other practice owners to talk to.
Be sure to check out my:
You went to one of the most rigorous programs of higher education out there. You are among the brightest and most innovative of professionals. With a few tools in your therapy belt, you can do this!
With my help, you will be able to:
Perform a market analysis
Create a working business plan
Network and market your practice
Beat the competition
Set up smooth documentation and billing programs
Make money while doing what you want to do
Godspeed to you and your private practice,
Why I do what I do
Links Scott Recommends
Academy of Private Practice – Start, Run and Grow a Therapy Practice – Video Based Lessons and Downloadable Tools – Plus Consulting – Enrollment Only Happens 3 Times A Year
Free Client Tracking Spreadsheet – How Scott keeps up with due dates, client information and so much more
FREE Ebook – What 150 Practice Owners Know – Get the Ebook by taking the survey – MUST have a private practice to take the survey
Disclaimers & Privacy Notice
I read a lot and come across a lot of information, and one of the things that I do here is share that valuable information with you. When it’s a product or service worth buying, I’ll either review it or recommend it. The difference is that recommendations point to good stuff that I haven’t had time to review yet. ( “Reviews” will cover recommendations for the rest of this page.)
About my reviews…
I Try To Make My Reviews Valuable
- My main goal is to give a review that adds value to you and your private practice. There are a lot of products and services out there, and sometimes it’s hard to tell which are worth the time and money and which aren’t. When find good products and services, I want to tell you about it and help you make an informed decision about whether it’s for you and your private practice.
I Support Good People
- Some of the products that I review are made by my friends and clients, and I’ll make my relationship to that person clear when I write the review. I am blessed to be surrounded by a lot of good people making cool stuff, but I won’t recommend their stuff if I don’t think it’s worth your time. Guests on my podcast/videos sometimes mention a product or service that they use or have created. The mention or discussion of these products or services are not necessarily an endorsement or recommendation of the product or service.I try to take into consideration the character of the people or businesses whose products I review. When it’s clear to me that they’re honest and trying to make a positive difference in the world, I like to recommend their product or service. If they’re questionable, then I’ll usually opt not to support them.
Some of My Reviews Have Affiliate Links
- Many online products and services come with affiliate programs, which is basically a commission from the sale or purchase. It works like this: when I use my links in reviews and recommendations, I get a portion of the revenue from the sale. Using my link does not alter your purchase price, and I don’t recommend and review stuff just because I might get a cut of the revenue – I recommend and review stuff because I think the product will benefit you. Not all of the links on this website are affiliate links, but some are.
At the end of the day, I want to share good products and services with you that supports good people.
If you got here from a review, just hit the back button to go back to that review. Thanks!
Want Me To Review or Recommend One Of Your Products?
I love seeing what products you’re creating, so please feel free to send me review copies if you think your product is a good fit for me and my audience. But if you’d like me to review or recommend one of your products, here are some things to keep in mind:
- I won’t review or recommend a product or service if I don’t get to experience it.
- This means that if you have a prelaunch campaign going and I don’t have time to use it and review it, I won’t be able to support your launch.
- I’m usually on a review backlog
- If you want me to look at something at the last minute, it probably won’t happen. Some of my friends, clients, and supporters contact me months ahead of time and give me ample opportunity to check their product or service out.
If you’d still like me to review or recommend your product after reading this, jump on over to my contact page and give me a shout. Thanks!
Like many other Web sites, https://www.startatherapypractice.com makes use of log files. These files merely logs visitors to the site – usually a standard procedure for hosting companies and a part of hosting services’s analytics. The information inside the log files includes internet protocol (IP) addresses, browser type, Internet Service Provider (ISP), date/time stamp, referring/exit pages, and possibly the number of clicks. This information is used to analyze trends, administer the site, track user’s movement around the site, and gather demographic information. IP addresses, and other such information are not linked to any information that is personally identifiable.
Cookies and Web Beacons
DoubleClick DART Cookie
→ Google’s use of the DART cookie enables it to serve ads to our site’s visitors based upon their visit to https://www.startatherapypractice.com and other sites on the Internet.
Our Advertising Partners
https://www.startatherapypractice.com has no access to or control over these cookies that are used by third-party advertisers.
Third Party Privacy Policies
If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your individual browser options. More detailed information about cookie management with specific web browsers can be found at the browsers’ respective websites. What Are Cookies?
We believe it is important to provide added protection for children online. We encourage parents and guardians to spend time online with their children to observe, participate in and/or monitor and guide their online activity.
https://www.startatherapypractice.com does not knowingly collect any personally identifiable information from children under the age of 13. If a parent or guardian believes that https://www.startatherapypractice.com has in its database the personally-identifiable information of a child under the age of 13, please contact us immediately (using the contact in the first paragraph) and we will use our best efforts to promptly remove such information from our records.
This policy does not apply to any information collected offline or via channels other than this website.
Get Scott's Free Forms
Forms that Scott uses in his clinics